Sunday 9 November 2008

Ritamorphosis

From the very beginning Rita changed her name and that was just the first step of the metamorphosis...

Rita decided that to be an educated woman and discuss beautiful literature she needs to change the way she speaks, and not only the way but also the tone of her voice. (I image something like The Nanny trying to sound smart).

She is burying the old Rita. She is no longer herself. She has no identity.
She adopted a new name, a new voice, a new style. She has no opinion of herself, she doesn't own a point of view, she adopted writer's opinionsm and consulted recognized authorities.
Frank is quite disappointed, because he misses the old Rita, her old believes, questions, sincerity and simpleness. That's why he doesn't like her essay.

The new Rita, under the shape of a silly society which has not opinion of theirown.
I think Frank wants Rita to think for herself, and not to express what a society expects from her.


"Be yourself, no matter what they say..."

6 comments:

Lucía G. said...

I love you Ritamorphosis post!

I´ve commented something similar on my latest post. Do you believe Rita is doing the right thing by changing her identity completely?
xxx,
Lu

Pame said...

Thanks Lu...
Rita thinks that if she perseveres behaving and pretending be "smart" one day she will be truly smart, and she won't need to pretend anymore.
But I don't think she could do it, because one day or another she will show her true colours (mostrar la hilacha).
xxx,
Pame = )

Lucía G. said...

Hello Pame!
Interesting what you´ve posted on my blog about the aborigines. I´ve answered it commenting other things I believe you also can relate to this.
I don´t know if the best way to really achieve a profound change in her is to go on pretending.I believe she needs something else, she needs to recognise and value her origins and after that to go on enriching her mind, which in turn feeds her soul as well.

Many kisses for yoouuu,

Lu

Pame said...

Hi Lu,

Maybe if somebody is all the time pretending to be somebody else, s/he will belive s/he is. But I think there is no way to hide what you have in your heart, and that is learned very early in life.
I agree on that of value her origins and enrich her mind.
One cannot denny oneself...

XXX,

=Pame

Gladys Baya said...

Hi Pame!

You write: "Maybe if somebody is all the time pretending to be somebody else, s/he will believe s/he is." I'm not sure about that, but I do believe they're bound to forget who they really are! :-P!

As teachers, I think our mission is precisely to help people never forget that, and value their identity... Did you ever think about that when choosing to become an English teacher?

Pame said...

Hi Gladys,
I like your idea of people bound to forget what they are...
I haven't thought it in that way.

I like the idea of teaching or transmiting soething I know, that's part of why I become a teacher, but I don't care about transmiting what, it can be English, or art, or geography, it doesn't matter. I haven't thought of changing identity but always learning something new, culture, tools, experiences, etc.

Pame